If you’re looking for a little meal prep inspiration, look no further than our very own Community Kitchen! Our kitchen staff and volunteers prepare a variety of meals every day that are delicious and rich in nutrients and healthy ingredients. We’re excited to share some of our favorite recipes that our recipients enjoy through programs like Meals on Wheels, Summer Food Service Program and the Kids Cafe.
Nothing says comfort food quite like chicken and dumplings. Our Community Kitchen has cooked up an incredible recipe for this classic meal. Many of our Meals on Wheels clients can’t get enough, especially during the colder winter months.
1 oz. chopped onion
2 3/5 oz. chopped celery
4/5 oz. chopped carrots
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 oz. low sodium chicken base soup, paste
1/8 tsp. ground white pepper
15 oz. diced cooked chicken
1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 ¼ tsp. baking powder
2 3/8 tsp. vegetable shortening
4 tbsp. 1% low fat milk
1 large egg
- Combine chicken, 2 3/8 cups of water, soup base, onion, celery, carrots and white pepper into pan. Simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Separately, mix 4 tbsp. of flour and 3 ¼ tbsp. of water to form a smooth paste. Add to vegetable mixture. Cook and stir until thickened- about 3 minutes.
- Separately, mix remaining flour and baking powder. Cut shortening into flour mixture until you get a coarse consistency.
- Separately, combine eggs and milk. Add to flour mixture and mix until well combined.
- Use a small scoop to drop dumplings (flour mixture) into hot chicken mixture and cook uncovered for 8 to 10 minutes. Cover and cook an additional 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve warm!