We’re here for our neighbors when they need us!
During these uncertain and stressful times, it is so important that we stop to recognize the good that is happening around us, each and every day.
For the last few weeks, we have truly seen, and felt, the best in our community! Here are some highlights from this past week that we’re proud to share:
- More than 740 kind and caring souls volunteered with us to get food prepared, packaged and distributed to our neighbors who face hunger
- Around 13,500 meals were made with lots of love in our Bayard Community Kitchen
- Our Food Bank Distribution Center moved 333,140 pounds of food out to those in need
- Close to 12,000 made-from-scratch meals were delivered to 870 of the senior and homebound neighbors in our Meals on Wheels program
As the COVID-19 public health crisis continues to evolve, we want to tell you about the operational changes we’ve made to continue to carry out our mission, while maintaining health and safety during this unprecedented time.
Most notably, we adjusted our Meals on Wheels meal distribution model. Starting today, the 800-900 senior and homebound neighbors currently enrolled in our program received a box filled with 5-10 frozen meals, depending on their meal plan. Our Meals on Wheels Client Services team will be making weekly calls to these neighbors to ensure they are safe and doing OK. The shift from a Monday – Friday delivery schedule to once a week will help keep our clients safe, and the safety of our volunteer delivery drivers a top priority.
Our ability to respond to this rapidly changing situation is all possible because of your support and belief in our mission! Thank you for standing beside us as we help our Central Virginia neighbors in their times of need.
Other ways you can help
- Ask your kids to make cards for our Meals on Wheels clients!
- Check in on your elderly neighbor, fellow parishioner or acquaintance to see if you can make a grocery store run for them or help out in any way. Your kindness can make all the difference!
- Sign up to volunteer at Feed More. At the moment, we have a good volunteer base, but there may be future opportunities to jump in and lend a helping hand and we’d love your support!
- Check out what local schools and other community-focused organizations are doing to help those impacted by school and small business closings! There is A LOT of good going on in our communities and many ways you can be a part of the solution.