Meals on Wheels Services
Homebound adults in Central Virginia may qualify for Meals on Wheels services, regardless of ability to pay. To receive meals, you must:
- Be over the age of 18
- Be homebound* and unable to meet basic nutritional needs** either temporarily or long term
- Have no other reliable means of obtaining your daily meals
- Reside in our service area (the cities of Richmond, Petersburg, Colonial Heights or Hopewell, or the counties of Charles City, Chesterfield, Dinwiddie, Goochland, Hanover, Henrico, Louisa, New Kent, Powhatan or Prince George)
*Definition of "homebound": Unable to leave the home without considerable difficulty and/or assistance. A person may leave home for medical treatment or short, infrequent absences for non-medical reasons, such as a trip to the barber or religious services.
**Definition of "unable to meet basic nutritional needs": Unable to prepare/have difficulty preparing at least one nutritious meal daily because of physical or mental limitations, or unable to obtain/have difficulty obtaining necessary food.
Other household members who may be eligible:
- Disabled children of any age and minor children for whom you provide primary care
- A spouse who is unable to prepare his or her own meal