The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP)

Emergency Food for Families in Need

The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) supports the nutritional needs of low-income individuals and families who are facing an emergency food shortage by providing wholesome food to supplement their diet, while helping stretch their food dollars. With food made available through the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), food is distributed to agencies, usually food banks like Feed More, who in turn distribute the food to selected local agencies that directly serve the public.

Eligibility for TEFAP is based on income and not every member of the Feed More Agency Network is set up to receive USDA food. TEFAP products are distributed through our Agency Network monthly. Typical items include nutrient-rich food and a variety of canned items (e.g., fruit, vegetables, meat or fish), bottled juice, shelf-stable and instant dry milk, cheese, pasta or rice, dry beans or peanut butter and cereal.

Please note, participation in Feed More’s TEFAP is open to members of our Agency Network. Any agencies interested in learning more should reach out to their Regional Manager. If you are in need of food assistance, please complete our Hunger Hotline inquiry form or call (804) 521-2500 ext. 631.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1)        mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2)       fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3)        email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.