Giving Food to Help Us Feed More
Donations of food are a vital part of our ability to serve the needs of our communities. Make an active and hands-on contribution to ending hunger in Central Virginia by hosting a food drive! We encourage food donations from individuals, groups and food industry donors.
If you’re interested in hosting a traditional food drive, here are a few steps to get started:
- Find sturdy boxes to collect nonperishable items.
- Place your boxes in a prominent place where your team will see them.
- Make sure you’re collecting the healthiest, most-needed food items, listed below.
- Reach out to your networks to secure support for your food drive.
- If you need any assistance, please let us know– we’re here to help!
Food Drive Toolkit
We are here to help make your food drive a success. Here are some items to help you in your food collection:
Most needed items list
Food drive instructions and tips
Half page food drive flyer
Large food drive sign
Once you’ve completed your food drive:
- Food donations may be dropped off at our main campus located in Richmond Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. When you arrive at Feed More, please check in with the staff member or volunteer who will assist you in making your donation. The Community Donation Door is located at Door Number 13 at 1601 Rhoadmiller Street, Richmond, VA, 23220.
- Please be aware that the Feed More team, and our parking lot, is especially busy each weekday morning from about 10 – 11:15 a.m. dispatching our Meals on Wheels. If it is possible to drop off your donation before or after dispatch, it would be most appreciated.
- To drop off your donations after hours, simply bring your food to 1415 Rhoadmiller Street and place your nonperishable food items in the bright orange bins located on our campus.
- If your food drive raised at least 250 pounds, we will gladly pick up the donated food. Please contact us to schedule your pick up.
- Let us know if you’d like to make an appointment to drop off an individual donation or food drive donations.
Find a Nearby Donation Point
To donate food or grocery products for neighbors in need, we offer a number of drop-off options at locations other than our Rhoadmiller campus.
Midas of Richmond has permanent food donation containers for collection of nonperishable food items at the several locations. In Richmond, stores at 5301 W. Broad St., 11463 W. Broad St. and 10160 Hull St. Rd. accept food donations. In Colonial Heights the Midas located at 1400 Boulevard also accepts donations for Feed More.
Food Industry Donors
Feed More depends on the generosity of the food industry to nourish our community. We recover excess product from manufacturers, wholesalers, growers, packers, grocers and more. We gladly accept product that is safe for consumption, yet is unsaleable for a number of reasons.
Donate your company products. If you are in the food service business, you can donate prepared and perishable food or household products for local people in need.
Join our Retail Recovery Program. Feed More can be an active partner in your company’s food sustainability programs. Local grocers and suppliers can contribute, rather than waste, food that is still usable but no longer available for sale.
Please contact our Food Donations Manager to learn about the products or produce that our community needs and how you can best contribute.
The Good Samaritan Law
Federal law encourages the donation of food and grocery products to nonprofit organizations for distribution to needy individuals. The Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act clarifies your protection from civil and criminal liability from products donated in good faith and standardizes these protections across all 50 states.
As a member of Feeding America’s food bank network, Feed More continues to meet or exceed the same federal food-handling and safety regulations that govern the food and grocery industry. For complete text of the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act, visit the Feeding America Web site at www.feedingamerica.org.