Senior Procurement Manager – Experience in Perishables, Grocery, and Produce
Feed More collects, prepares and distributes food to neighbors in need. With a service area that stretches across 34 cities and counties, our comprehensive programs and Agency Network are dedicated to providing our communities with access to quality food and healthy meals year round.
With the help of nearly 100 employees, close to 300 members of Feed More’s Agency Network and around 200 volunteers a day, Feed More is able to carry out its mission of fighting hunger throughout Central Virginia. Feed More is a proud member of Feeding America and Meals on Wheels America.
We’re looking for:
The Senior Procurement Manager is responsible for conducting the purchasing of all foods, related supplies, and associated products for the organization. Primary focus will be on food procurement with an emphasis on produce. However, this position will serve as the liaison to vendors, growers, suppliers, and manufacturers of food, packaging, and supply materials throughout the organization. The position will support other departments through bid management and vendor negotiation assistance.
Department: Operations – Food Sourcing
Reports To: Director of Supply Chain Management
FLSA Status: Full Time Salaried Exempt
Position: Full time, Monday – Friday, generally 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Food Donation Manager and Distribution/Allocations Manager
Budgetary Responsibilities: Budget as assigned, including Store operations.
What you’ll do:
In conjunction with the Food Donations Manager and Programs Staff, develop food purchasing goals and objectives while monitoring their implementation commensurate with organizational mission.
Work with local food brokers and manufacturers to obtain food and other associated products.
Work with Distribution/Allocation Manager to insure viable mix of product between facilities and the store.
Strategize perishable product planning; establish relationships with farmers for wholesale produce.
Develop product specifications, based on partner agency and program needs, and execute bidding process with vendors.
Monitor wholesale inventory for reorder needs.
Secure product according to bid agreements with vendors; assess inventory periodically and make adjustments to wholesale bid.
Select and procure USDA product based on entitlement awarded, availability and partner agency needs.
Work with Operations staff to troubleshoot vendor issues, product concerns, etc.
Create reporting to monitor inventory levels, turnover rate, and market basket pricing.
Manage Vendor relations through in-person meetings, phone calls and email.
Attend events relevant to vendor relations (i.e. industry trade shows, etc.).
Abide by a strict code of confidentiality in all matters related to the organization.
Prepare, maintain, and submit all written records and reports in an accurate and timely manner.
Works with all food vendors to reduce the cost and improve the quality of purchased goods.
Works closely with Federation of Virginia Food Banks team members to enhance food-sourcing efforts within the Commonwealth.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, marketing, or a related field and at least five years of proven work experience or a combination of education and experience that will provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Individual should have prior experience in the food industry; excellent understanding of food warehousing and distribution, purchasing and/or category management experience.
- Willingness and ability to successfully complete food safety certification training
- Good organizational skills with ability to collaborate with food manufacturers, growers, and brokers
- Strong verbal and written communications skills; good interpersonal skills with ability to represent the organization and emergency food network needs
- Ability to interact effectively with individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and personalities.
- Proficient in MS Office: i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to meet crises calmly, solve problems, show attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to use good judgement and work independently.
- Must be able to lift and carry objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Must have flexible schedule to accommodate corporate needs, including occasional weekend or evening engagements.
Ideally, will have:
- Experience using integrated ERP or POS systems.
- Prior experience with non-profit organizations.
- Previous food bank experience is a plus.
- In addition to competitive wages, we’re proud to offer full time employees with comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, 401K, generous paid time off, 10 paid holidays and more.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter using the form below by July 22, 2021. We kindly request no phone inquiries.
Apply Now: !!!Senior Procurement Manager - Experience in Perishables, Grocery, and Produce!!!
Feed More, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.